Pollen…. Pollen Everywhere! Natural Relief for Allergies
Swollen eyes…runny nose…itchy eyes? It is that time of year again. It is miserable to have to stay indoors because of the pollen. when the sun is shining Did you know that pollen counts are highest in early morning, evening and night? So perhaps it is better not to camp out or mow the lawn at those particular times. And it is suggested that when the pollen counts go above 50, stay indoors with windows shut.
So what causes all this?
The biggest spring allergy trigger is pollen. Trees, grasses, and weeds release these tiny grains into the air to fertilize other plants. When they get into the nose of someone who’s allergic, they send the body’s defenses haywire.
The immune system mistakenly sees the pollen as a danger and releases antibodies that attack the allergens. That leads to the release of chemicals called histamines into the blood. Histamines trigger runny nose, itchy eyes, and other symptoms that are all too familiar if you have allergies.
A great resource to check out about the pollen in your area is to simply google pollen count and put in your city and it will tell you how high the pollen is for that place and time. A great supplement with its anti-histamine effects to use if you are suffering from hay fever and/or allergies is Shaklee Alfalfa. I just found a wonderful description of why this particular product (with resources) and wanted to share it with you. Enjoy!
VITAMINS found in Alfalfa:
- Vitamin A – for night vision. Builds resistance to infections, especially in the respiratory tract; promotes growth and vitality; promotes healthy skin and is essential in pregnancy.
- Vitamin E – protects cells against damage from sun’s radiation and air pollution; promotes heart, cardiovascular and muscle health and improved immune function; promotes muscle tone in the body; helps bring nutrients to cells and helps strengthen blood vessel walls, including capillary walls; helps proper focusing of the eyes.
- Vitamin U – promotes the health of body to help overcome peptic ulcers.
- Vitamin B6 – helps food assimilation and protein and fat metabolism; promotes nerve and skin health; helps battle nausea symptoms.
- Vitamin K – essential for blood clotting; important in liver functions; may possibly contribute to vitality and longevity.
- Vitamin D – regulates the use of calcium and phosphorus in the body and is, therefore, necessary for the proper formation of strong and healthy teeth and bones.
MINERALS found in Alfalfa:
- Calcium – builds and maintains bones and teeth; helps clot blood, aids in vitality and endurance; regulates heart rhythm, soothes nerves.
- Iron – required in manufacturing hemoglobin; helps carry oxygen in the blood.
- Potassium – necessary for normal muscle tone, nerves, heart action and enzyme reactions; digests fats.
- Phosphorus – needed for normal bone and tooth structure. Interrelated with the action of calcium and Vitamin D. Improves nourishment of nerve tissue.
- Chlorine (chloride) – an essential electrolyte which cleans and purifies the body; regulates fat, sugar and starch metabolism.
- Sodium – regulates fluid balance throughout the body; neutralizes acids, prevents clotting of blood; activates spleen, bowels and stomach functions.
- Silicon Magnesium – helps the body to deal with constipation; steadies the nerves; has a protective effect on skin and body; stimulates brain function
Other Properties of Alfalfa
- High in protein – alfalfa has 18.9% as compared to beef at 16.5%, milk at 3.3% and eggs at 13.1%. (Muscles are composed of protein and the lack of it results in fatigue and weakness.)
- Alfalfa’s deep roots seek out minerals in the subsoil, which are inaccessible to other plants. The average alfalfa plant has roots 10 to 20 feet long or more.
Nature’s Medicines, by Richard Lucas.
Nature’s Healing Grasses by H.E. Kirschner, M.D.
Vitamin/Mineral Chart by the Redwood City Health Food Center;
Diet and Health, by Dr. B.L. Corley
From the Shaklee product catalog: Shaklee Alfalfa contains trace amounts of a wide range of vitamins and minerals. It is made from premium quality alfalfa grown in California with NO fungicides, bacteriocides, synthetic hormones, growth regulators, or chemicals. Special harvesting equipment is used to protect the delicate leaves which contain the greatest concentration of nutrients.
Because alfalfa is rich in eight digestive enzymes, Shaklee Alfalfa Tabs can be taken at the beginning of meals to aid digestion. Alfalfa is known to be one of the richest sources of vitamins in the herbal family.
330s-count: Item # 20153
700s-count: Item # 20160 (economy size)
(The statements in this bulletin have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.)
If you suffer from allergies and/or hay fever, I highly recommend this product. Here is another resource for you to check out that gives you more natural alternatives to drugs in helping you get through this beautiful, yet somewhat miserable season.